What type of insurance do I need on my trailer for my boat?

You need your trailer to take your boat down to the waterfront, but you may mistakenly assume that it’s covered under either your car insurance or your homeowner’s insurance. The truth of the matter is, while you may have coverage for your trailer under one or both of these policies, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s the proper amount that you need to deal with any trailer accidents or trouble.

Your homeowners policy may offer additional riders or an increase to the value of property covered at home, which helps protect your trailer when you aren’t actively using it. This allows you to have coverage if someone steals or damages your trailer while it’s on your property. Auto coverage may also provide additions that cover anything attached to the car, which may also extend to protecting your boat.

Your best bet, however, is to buy boat insurance, as this covers the boat and the trailer. Instead of hoping that the company offers addition to the policy, getting your boat covered keeps your trailer protected wherever you have it, whether it’s sitting in your driveway or out by the docking area. The price of this coverage may fluctuate with active boating seasons, so be aware of the premiums when you’re making your purchase.

A boat policy also protects any personal property located on the trailer or within the boat, like a homeowner’s policy does. You get replacement cost for stolen and damaged items, so you can get back out on the water with your fish finders, coolers, and anything else that ended up being damaged in an accident.