Identity theft happens in Coppell, Carrollton, Grapevine, as well as Dallas and Ft. Worth. It is all around us. Thieves only need one single piece of personal information to steal your identity and turn your financial life upside down. According to the Federal Trade Commission there are nearly 10 million people, or five percent of the adult population, who become victims of identity theft each year. Identity theft costs victims an estimated $5 billion in out-of-pocket expenses from trying to reclaim their good credit.
The Select Insurance Agency of Coppell, and Travelers Insurance, recommend the following identity theft prevention tips:
- Check your credit report, which is available free once every 12 months at www.annualcreditreport.com from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. If you suspect that there are any inaccuracies, call the bureau immediately. (Call Equifax at 800.685.1111; Experian at 888.EXPERIAN; or TransUnion at 800.888.4213.)
- Protect your Social Security number. Do not use your SSN as an identifier at work, school or on your driver’s license. Request a new number to substitute as an ID if this is assigned automatically.
- Create passwords and PINs that are difficult for others to guess but easy for you to remember. Memorize the numbers to avoid having to write them down.
- Buy a shredder to destroy any financial and personal documents before throwing them away. This includes bills, statements and pre-approved credit card offers.
- Check your wallet: Do not carry your Social Security card, birth certificate, passport, or extra credit cards unless absolutely necessary.
- Never put outgoing documents that contain personal information in your mailbox to be picked up; drop them directly at the post office or a postal service mailbox.
- Be aware of your surroundings especially when using an ATM, entering PINs or making a purchase with a credit card. Scam artists can easily look over your shoulder, or even spy from far away to steal your information.
- Use caution when responding to, or clicking on, an unfamiliar or unsolicited email. It is very easy for someone to scam you by using a seemingly authentic Web address.
- Avoid emailing personal or financial information to anyone. It is much safer to furnish this information over the phone, provided you are the one who initiated the call.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) immediately. For more important prevention tips visit the FTC Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.
Call The Select Insurance Agency today to add identity fraud expense coverage as an endorsement to your homeowners, condo or renters policy. With technology advancing every day, it is important to know what you can do to protect yourself before it is too late.
For Coppell, Texas residents, purchasing a life insurance policy is an important step for financial protection – as it is with those around the country. Approaching this area involves a number of considerations that can make a big difference in premiums, financial security, and overall peace of mind.
A preliminary thought will be with the type of life insurance desired. There are plenty of life insurance types. You might be interested in whole life, a permanent policy, or a temporary term life policy. There are further specialty types of life insurance within these two broad categories, as well. Furthermore, you could opt for a strategy involving both types of life insurance.
The million-dollar question – which may be much less than this amount – is the amount of life insurance to purchase. Yet, this is a topic that is filled with things to consider as well:
- Your funeral costs and debts left behind
- Replacing income for your family, should you pass away early
- Incorporating savings goals, such as your child’s education
- All other things that can affect your family’s way of life – from loans and retirement to other areas
Speaking to an independent agent can be a great way to obtain help for these areas. Your agent will be able to explain your options, offer advice on your strategy, and help you come up with a figure that works for your needs and your budget.
Another advantage of going with an independent insurance agent is found in the comparison process. An independent agent can compare your chosen policy type with several leading insurers. You will be able to see plenty of competitive rates, which will help you choose an optimal premium for the coverage.
Contact your local agent today for assistance with this vital insurance type.
…AN INDEPENDENT AGENCY SERVING COPPELL, GRAPEVINE, IRVING, CARROLLTON, FLOWER MOUND, LEWISVILLE, PLANO, FRISCO AND ALL THE DFW METROPLEX.
Some people think it doesn’t really matter where they buy their insurance. But this misconception could be costing them money, service and protection. Buying insurance isn’t like buying bread or milk. Insurance is an important safety net for a family, a car, a home, or a business. Don’t treat the purchase lightly!
There is a difference in where you buy your protection. Many people don’t realize there are three sources for insurance:
Captive Agents — sell you the insurance of only one company.
Telephone Representatives — offer you the insurance of one company, and only on the telephone.
Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers — represent an average of eight insurance companies and research these firms to find you the best combination of price, coverage, and service.
Your Independent Insurance Agent or Broker:
Is a licensed professional with strong customer and community ties.
Gives you excellent service and competitive prices because your agent can access the insurance coverage from more than one company.
Unlike other agents, is not beholden to any one company; thus, you don’t need to change agencies as your insurance and service needs change.
Assists you when you have a claim.
Is your consultant, working with you as you determine your needs.
Offers you a choice of insurance plans and programs.
Is a value hunter who looks after your pocketbook in finding the best combination of price, coverage and service.
Offers one-stop shopping for a full range of products-home, renters, auto, business and life.
Can periodically review your coverage to keep up with your changing insurance needs.
Treats you like a person, not just another number.
Customer satisfaction is the key to an independent agent’s livelihood. So, serving you is your independent agent’s most important concern.
Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, Inc
Do you own a home in Coppell, Grapevine, Carrollton, or any other surrounding areas, but do not live in it? Your Homeowners Policy will NOT cover a home that you rent out. Be sure to secure a Dwelling Policy for any rent houses you may own. Call us today to get it started!
More than anything, we want our kids to be safe, especially when they start to drive. Talk with your teenager about making smart decisions while behind the wheel:
- Drive defensively. If you assume that other drivers are not as skilled and thoughtful as you are, you will instinctively become more careful and cautious when on the road.
- Try not to speed. When you speed, you have less time to react, less time to make the right decision.
- Never drink and drive. Alcohol can seriously impair your decision-making skills and reaction time.
- Take the keys away from friends who have been drinking.
- Adults can set an example by practicing safe driving habits.
Some helpful web-sites to visit:
If you reside in Coppell, Texas and have a boat it is not possible to obtain insurance seasonally for the boat. Boat owners must purchase an annual policy and then when the boat is stored the insurance company will give a discount to the insured on their annual policy amount. The very rough average of cost for boat insurance is about $1,200 per year, with a yearly maintenance fee of about $2,500 per year. When the boat owner decides that it is time to store their boat for the winter months there is an average fee of about $1,200 to winterize the boat for storage to insure proper insurance coverage. This is a very rough figure because there are a lot of variables to consider, such as, how the boat owner wants the policy written up and what they want included in the policy.
An all risk policy covers the boat if there is damage done to the boat. If items are not mentioned in the policy then the insured can safely assume that it is covered. It is more plainly understood when one review what is not covered. The type of policy you buy will denote the rate of the policy.
Exclusions are included in most boat policies such as normal wear on the boat, gradual deterioration of the boat, elements of weather. Marine life, mold, animals, insects are not covered for damage. Some insurance companies include some forms of marine life while other companies do not. Careless wear and tear on the boat such as blistering from the sun, scratches, dents, manufacturer’s error in building of the boat, corrosion, defects by manufacturer, are not covered. While some insurance company’s do cover mechanical loses, other companies do not.
Not all insurance companies are created equal so it does pay to shop around to get the best price and purchase annual insurance coverage for your boat.
There is an insurance, independent agent in Coppell, Texas who is ready and willing to explain to business owners the technical issues of commercial building insurance. If the owner lives in or in surrounding areas of Coppell, give them a call today.
Along with owning a commercial property the owner must have insurance on the building. The business is not going to thrive without insurance. It would take one costly event and the owner could lose their business and everything that they worked so hard for. This is why it is imperative to have your commercial building protected at all times.
The independent agent will also explain that if the owner has another commercial building (s) all the buildings will fit under the protection of one policy. The business owner is not responsible for the insurance on the property if they do not own the property. This is the landlord’s responsibility.
There are three types of commercial insurance policies, Basic, Broad and Special. An insurance agent is needed to help sort out all of the unique needs of the owner to be sure that they will not lose money and the business will grow. Average rates on commercial buildings are extremely difficult to figure. This is where the independent agent in Coppell, Texas can help.
An insurance agent will evaluate the commercial property and business. If the owner is in a high risk category for filing future possible claims the monthly premiums will be higher. There are too many variables to determine the average rate on commercial building insurance. One big variable is the square footage size of the building. And, it all depends on how the building was built and with what kinds of materials.
Call your Coppell, Texas independent agent today to go over all variables for your special commercial building insurance needs and determine the lowest possible rate that will meet your unique commercial building insurance needs.
What causes insurance costs to go up?
In the past several years, there has been an increase in the number and severity of natural disasters such as tornados, severe storms, hail, and wildfires. We saw large hail and high winds this spring in Dallas, Coppell, Irving, Carrollton…practically all over North Texas. Remember the baseball size hail?
These events have driven up the cost and demand for building materials across the country. This in turn affects your homeowners policy premium since it is based in part on the cost to rebuild your home.
What can you do to manage your insurance costs?
Check with our agency to see if you can take advantage of any of the following:
• Increasing deductibles can help keep your insurance costs down.
• Auto/Home discount for insuring your vehicles with us.
• Discounts for safeguarding your home with smoke detectors, burglar alarms and fire alarms.
• Discounts for extensive updates to electric, plumbing, and heating/cooling systems.
- According to an NFPA survey, only one-third of Americans have both developed and practiced a home fire escape plan.
- Almost three-quarters of Americans do have an escape plan; however, less than half actually practiced it.
- One-third of Americans households who made and estimate they thought they would have at least 6 minutes before a fire in their home would become life threatening. The time available is often less. And only 8% said their first thought on hearing a smoke alarm would be to get out!
- Almost two-thirds (62%) of reported home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
- Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in reported home fires in half.
- In fires considered large enough to activate the smoke alarm, hardwired alarms operated 92% of the time, while battery powered alarms operated only 77% of the time.
“Reproduced from NFPA’s Fire Prevention Week website, www.firepreventionweek.org. ©2012 NFPA.
Local fire stations will be holding an Open House during fire prevention week. Some that we know about are:
Coppell Fire Station #3, on Parkway Blvd. – Sunday, Oct. 7 from 1pm-5pm
Plano – Thursday, Oct. 11 from 6:30pm-8pm
Lewisville – Central Sta. on Valley Pkwy – Saturday, Oct. 6 from 10am-3pm
Flower Mound – Central Sta. on Forums Dr. – Saturday, Oct. 13 from 10am-2pm
In order to answer the question, "How does an insurance binder work in Coppell, Texas?" we need to explain exactly what insurance binder is for those who do not know.
A temporary proof of insurance is a binder that covers the insured until the formal policy is issued. This binder is supposed to be as good as the insurance policy that one will receive in the mail or is picked up at the insurance agent’s office.
In order for this insurance binder to be legal it must carry the insured’s name and what it is for such as home, automobile, business and so forth. It must also have the coverage amounts in dollars, and who the company is that is issuing the insurance. It must have a start date of coverage, and if there is a lien holder on the insured property.
When anyone buys a policy from an independent agent and the insured makes their first payment they are legally covered at that moment and the company can bind the policy for you, or cover you immediately and the proof is a temporary piece of paper with the above mentioned information. Not all independent agents have the ability to bind an insured, so coverage would take effect by 12:01 a.m. the next day.
An insurance binder is readily needed when one purchases another new or used vehicle in order to make it legal to drive on the road immediately. Otherwise, it would take a little under two weeks to receive the permanent insurance policy.
As far as the State of Texas and the city of Coppell is concerned, some independent agent in Coppell will issue binders, as proof of insurance, however due to a Texas court ruling in 2011 regarding a law suit involving a binder problem, the court ruled that binders are not the same as the actual policy that is being issued. If something should happen before the actual insurance policy is received by the insured then coverage’s cannot be determined by the binder. Actual coverage’s will be determined by the permanent insurance policy. In some cases a binder may not cover the insured like the actual insurance policy because endorsements in certain instances were not mentioned in the binder.