Did you know that the state of Texas has a Bill of Rights for consumers who get auto insurance? Ask your agent at The Select Insurance Agency, serving Coppell, TX and the surrounding area, to give you a copy if you are considering getting auto insurance. You will automatically get a copy when you buy or renew an auto insurance policy.
Texas Law Requires Auto Liability Insurance
Along with your rights, you have responsibilities. If you are going to operate a car in Texas, you must have liability insurance. If you borrow money to buy a car, the lender will likely require you to also have collision and comprehensive insurance coverage. There are five other types of coverage that are optional; however, you will probably want to insure your car for more than the barest minimums required.
Here is the breakdown of the eight auto insurance types:
- Liability: This type has minimum legal requirements called 30-60-25 insurance coverage. If you cause an accident, your insurance must be a minimum of $30,000 for one person that is injured and a limit of $60,000 if more than one person is injured in the same accident. The minimum insurance required for any property damage is $25,000.
- Collision: This coverage pays to repair or replace a vehicle that is damaged in an accident.
- Comprehensive: This coverage is for other things that happen to the vehicle besides an accident, like theft or vandalism.
- Medical Payments: This pays the medical bill for you and your passengers.
- Protection for Personal Injury: Pays medical bills, lost wages, and other non-medical costs caused by an accident. This is not legally required; however, it is automatically included in your auto insurance in Texas unless you tell the insurance company, in writing, that you do not want it.
- Under- or Uninsured Driver: This pays the claim if the responsible party who caused the accident cannot pay or does not have insurance.
- Towing: This pays to have the vehicle towed away after an accident.
- Rental Car Expense: This pays for a rental car to use while your car is being repaired.
Contact your agent at The Select Insurance Agency in Coppell, TX by calling 972-315-7299 or using the convenient online form to get a quote for auto insurance.